Newport County RI Information
Newport County RI Data & Demographics (As of July 1, 2020)
|Total Population ||84,491 (100%) |
|Population in Households ||80,625 (95.4%) |
|Population in Families ||61,956 (73.3%) |
|Population in Group Quarters1 ||3,866 ( 4.6%) |
|Population Density ||825 |
|Diversity Index2 ||32 |
|Median Household Income ||$86,294 |
|Average Household Income ||$113,919 |
|% of Income for Mortgage4 || 19% |
|Per Capita Income ||$49,564 |
|Wealth Index5 ||152 |
|Total HU (Housing Units) ||43,213 (100%) |
|Owner Occupied HU ||23,271 (53.9%) |
|Renter Occupied HU ||12,690 (29.4%) |
|Vacant Housing Units ||7,252 (16.8%) |
|Median Home Value ||$390,956 |
|Average Home Value ||$527,150 |
|Housing Affordability Index3 ||115 |
|Total Households ||35,961 |
|Average Household Size ||2.24 |
|Family Households ||21,421 |
|Average Family Size ||3 |
GROWTH RATE / YEAR
|2010-2020 ||2020-2025 |
|Population ||0.19% ||0.2% |
|Households ||0.29% ||0.29% |
|Families ||0.16% ||0.21% |
|Median Household Income || ||2.59% |
|Per Capita Income || ||1.97% |
|Owner Occupied HU || ||0.34% |
Newport County RI - Peer Comparisons by Rank and Percentile
The table below compares Newport County to the other 5 counties and county equivalents in Rhode Island by rank and percentile using July 1, 2020 data. The location Ranked # 1 has the highest value. A location that ranks higher than 75% of its peers would be in the 75th percentile of the peer group.
|Variable Description ||Rank ||Percentile |
|Total Population ||# 4 ||40th |
|Population Density ||# 4 ||40th |
|Median Household Income ||# 2 ||80th |
|Housing Affordability Index ||# 3 ||60th |
|Per Capita Income ||# 1 ||100th |
|Diversity Index ||# 2 ||80th |
Additional comparisons and rankings can be made with a VERY EASY TO USE Rhode Island Census Data Comparison Tool.
Quick & Easy Ways to...
- Get Current Demographic Data for Cities, Towns, and ZIP Codes
- View Boundary Maps, for Cities, Towns, and ZIP Codes
- Locate Physical, Cultural, and Historical Features
Rhode Island Census Data Comparison Tool
More Tools and Resources:
- For information about schools and school attendance zones, use the HTL Address Tool
- Our new HTL Neighborhood Explorer provides lots of detail about any neighborhood.
- The new 2-Minute Introduction and Concise Guide to Big Data which will help you make the most effective use of HomeTownLocator Tools.
- See the References & Data Sources page for more information about methodology and sources of data.
- See the Rhode Island COVID-19 Data and US COVID-19 Data for more information on the spread of the novel coronavirus.